We recommend following the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations for the immunization of children. Vaccines protect children and their families and friends from dangerous, life-threatening illnesses. Each vaccine has been thoroughly studied, approved and recommended by the FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We recommend the following websites to assist you as you learn about the benefits of vaccination for your child/children:
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
We do not recommend delaying or refusing these vaccines. The state of Florida also has required vaccines for daycare/preschool/school entry. Our office policy is:
- Vaccines required by the state of Florida for daycare/preschool/school entry must be started by age 4 months.
- Vaccines required by the state of Florida for daycare/preschool/school entry must be complete by age 24 months (2 years old) with the exception of the 4-year-old and 5-year-old vaccines which must be completed by those ages and the 7th-grade vaccines which must be completed prior to 7th-grade entry.
- If you cannot comply with #1 and #2 above, we will regretfully ask you to seek medical care with another physician whose philosophy meets your needs better.
- We understand that there are times when a caregiver changes his/her mind after consenting to a vaccine. Unfortunately, vaccines are costly. Vaccine companies do not write-off our cost for discarded vaccines so we must ask you to pay for these vaccines if they must be discarded. If a vaccine has been consented by a physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or nurse, and the patient and/or caregiver changes his/her mind:
- If the vaccine has not been drawn up, the order will be canceled.
- If the vaccine has been drawn up, the nurses at Carithers Pediatric Group will make every effort to utilize that vaccine for another patient following all guidelines regarding safe storage and handling.
- If that vaccine is unable to be used, the patient will be responsible to pay for the unused, discarded vaccines. The cost of that vaccine will be shared with the patient prior to checking out.
Your child will receive the following vaccines at the well visits listed below:
Note: Flu vaccines start at 6 months of age and are recommended annually during the season. If your child is under 8 years of age and is receiving the flu vaccine for the first time, your child will need a flu booster one month after the first flu vaccine. HPV is a 3 dose series given during the teen years and optimally started at 11-12 years of age.
*Pentacel is a combination of DTaP, HIB and Polio. This vaccine is given at this well visit.
* Quadracel is a combination of DTaP and Polio. This vaccine is given at this well visit.
To speak to someone at one of our Jacksonville, FL pediatric offices about your child’s vaccination schedule, contact us to make an appointment.